By Land & By Sea RI Bike Tour
Rhode Island Bike Tour – By Land and By Sea
Bike Tour in USA’s Smallest State
Bike tour USA’s Rhode Island, a place humble in size but impressively grand in beauty. The four-day, three-night bike tour is based in Newport, but from there moves across land and sea to explore Block Island, Conanicut Island and Aquidneck Island. Rhode Island’s small size means you can take it all in.
Iconic Newport Mansions and Cliff Walk
Bicycle past magnificent Gilded Age mansions built by wealthy tycoons like the Vanderbilts and Astors. Walk a section of the renowned Cliff Walk to view the mansions and grounds from the water side. Pedal a spectacular route along breathtaking seacoast past grand “summer cottages.” Traveling this “bucket list” route by bike – hearing the waves crash, smelling the salt air, stopping for photos and for gaping – is the best way to fully experience the splendor.
Tour in the Footsteps of the First US Explorers
Discover a fascinating region first inhabited by the Narragansetts and then settled by Roger Williams and his followers in 1636. The spirits and landmarks of these early inhabitants can be felt and seen throughout the tour. Ferry with your bike across Narragansett Bay, Rhode Island Sound and Block Island Sound, plying the waters sailed by Verrazzano in the 1520s. Disembark on enchanting islands for tranquil cycling through landscapes and seascapes of salt-water farms, old stonewalls, picturesque harbors, stately lighthouses, wide beaches, quaint villages and wildlife preserves.
Up-close Tour of Rhode Island’s Colonial Heritage
Newport is a preeminent New England coastal town with one of the largest concentrations of colonial homes and buildings in America. Guests stay at a historic inn, perfectly situated in the heart of the beautiful Old Quarter. Walk to the bustling waterfront, fine restaurants and shops of every kind along cobblestoned, lantern-lit streets. Along the way, view first-hand the town’s rich colonial heritage and seafaring past.
Coastal New England Beauty
Newport remains a sailing and racing mecca for all sorts of vessels, from races for youth in dinghies to America’s Cup teams in carbon fiber machines that fly over the water. Enjoy viewing the colorful spinnakers in the harbors as we pedal coastal routes on each island and stroll the waterfronts to see the elegant yachts docked at the wharves. Great Freedom Adventures’ tour of Rhode Island by land and by sea showcases some of the very best of New England’s natural and man-made beauty to create an exceptionally rewarding experience.
- Bike the three largest islands of Rhode Island
- Aquidneck Island
- Conanicut Island
- Block Island
- Stay in the heart of Newport at a fine inn listed on the National Register of Historic Places
- Enjoy two scenic ferry rides
- Tour the Breakers mansion
- Learn fascinating Rhode Island history on a lantern-light tour
- View iconic Newport mansions
- Walk the renowned Cliff Walk as well as hidden wildlife trails
- See working lighthouses and historic forts
- Explore majestic bluffs and crescent beaches
- Visit some of Newport’s wonderful shops
- View colonial architecture on the many meticulously preserved homes in Newport and Jamestown
- Enjoy exceptional service throughout your worry-free tour of Rhode Island
The Clarkston Inn, Newport, RI - 3 NightsListed on The National Register of Historic Places, the Clarkston is one of the oldest inns in Newport. Each antique filled room is named and decorated after a famous or infamous person in Newport’s history. The home is nearly 300 years old, though you will enjoy today’s luxuries and amenities. The inn is located in the heart of the historic district, steps to restaurants, shops and the bustling waterfront.
Bike Tour in USA’s Smallest State
June 25-28 | July 9-12 | August 27-30
$1,795. Per person, based on double occupancy. Single Supplement: $550
4 days, 3 nights
4 - 29 with longer options if desired
Paved roads. Predominantly flat or rolling with some hills in parts.
Bikes: You may bring your own bike or use one of ours. GFA bikes are high quality, lightweight, available with either drop or straight handlebars and are equipped with computer, mirror, waterbottle, handlebar bag, map case and seat pack with essentials. What’s Included:
- 4 days of bicycling and walking
- Bicycle and helmet rental
- 3 nights lodging
- 3 breakfasts
- 3 dinners
- 1 lunch
- Two round trip ferry passages
- Lantern-light tour of Historic Newport
- Admission to the Breakers in Newport
- Guided hiking on nature trails and Cliff Walk
- Lighthouse tours
- 2 dedicated guides
- Van support
- Daily cold drinks and snacks
- Maps and cue sheets for each day's ride
- Tax and gratuities at inn and restaurants
- Pick up and drop off at Providence, RI airport or train station
- Featherweight, high visibility, reflective vest