Salt Marsh & Songbirds MA Eco-Bike Adventure
3 Day MA Eco-Bike Adventure
Songbirds and Spring Blooms
Explore the vast richness of Massachusetts’ Great Salt Marsh and national wildlife refuges on this three day guided bike tour through the Boston, MA North Shore. Discover a destination world famous for nature study, encompassing thousands of acres of salt marsh, one of the most productive ecosystems on the planet. The Spring eco-bike tours are timed to coincide with the return of songbirds to one of the finest bird-watching destinations in the eastern United States and the bloom of colorful native azaleas and rhododendrons.
Shorebirds, Waterfowl and Autumn Foliage
On the three day fall eco-bike tours, view some of the 25,000+ waterfowl, including loons, grebes, and teals. Discover the favorite haunts of the snowy owls and the “haul-out” locations of harbor and grey seals. Watch for great blue and green herons, snowy egrets and glossy ibises among other wading birds, as well as beaver, muskrat and turtles.
Barrier Beaches and Grand Estates
Pedal flat roads on this easy bike tour through a diverse habitat of barrier beaches, dunes, tidal salt marshes, mudflats, salt pannes, and coastal forests. Inland, bicycle alongside old stone walls tracing colonial-era farms, clear ponds, and meandering rivers. Depending on the season, view blossoming orchards and cherry trees or colorful fall foliage, pumpkin fields and ripened apples. Visit the grand Crane Estate, a National Historic Landmark, and stroll the magnificent grounds atop Castle Hill with its stunning views to the Atlantic.
Salt Marsh and Songbirds MA North Shore
Seafaring History and Colonial Gardens
Enjoy evenings in the heart of the vibrant seaport town of Newburyport, where the handsome mansions built by sea captains line High Street, testament to the seafaring history of the town. Today the beautifully restored first and second period Colonial, Federal, Queen Anne, Georgian and Empire homes along with their splendid flower gardens make strolling the streets of town fascinating. Plentiful shops, unique galleries, maritime museums, a scenic waterfront boardwalk, lantern- and flower-lined streets, numerous eateries and a lively arts scene make Newburyport an enchanting town, eminently historic yet delightfully livable.
- Stay in an elegant boutique hotel and national historic landmark
- Bike flat roads through bewitching scenery for an easy bike tour with options for additional mileage
- Learn about the ecology of a diverse habitat of barrier beaches, dunes, tidal salt marshes, mudflats, salt pannes, and coastal forests on this eco-bike tour
- Birdwatch and view wildlife at the Parker River National Wildlife Refuge, one of the nation’s finest birdwatching areas
- Visit picturesque Plum Island Light
- View coastal pitch pine forests and habitat of the threatened Piping Plover at the Crane Wildlife Refuge
- Enjoy mesmerizing views and soft sand on Crane Beach
- Walk trails and boardwalks through wildlife refuges
- Tour the Crane Estate and grounds, a National Historic Landmark
- View gardens designed by the Olmsted Brothers
- Visit a winery and orchard
- Explore the historic towns of Ipswich and Newburyport
- Enjoy exceptional service and friendly guides throughout your three day bike tour
Garrison Inn, Newburyport, MA - 2 NightsThis luxurious and elegant boutique hotel is also a National Historic Landmark. The inn is centrally located in the heart of the historic district, steps to fine shops, galleries, restaurants and the waterfront boardwalk. Enjoy innovative breakfasts served in espresso bar fashion.
May 11-13 | May 26-28 | July 15-17 | August 19-21 | September 9-11
$995 Per person, based on double occupancy. Single Supplement: $495
3 days, 2 nights
15-27 (15-36 or 50 for longer options)
Relatively flat with occasional short hills.
Bikes: You may bring your own bike or use one of ours. GFA bikes are high quality, lightweight, available with either drop or straight handlebars and are equipped with computer, mirror, waterbottle, handlebar bag, map case and seat pack with essentials. What's Included:
- 3 days of bicycling
- Bicycle and helmet rental
- 2 nights lodging
- 2 breakfasts
- 2 lunches
- 2 dinners
- Walks at wildlife areas, reservations and estates
- Admission to:
- Grounds of the Crane Estate
- Crane Beach
- Parker River National Wildlife Refuge
- 2 knowledgeable guides
- Van support
- Daily snacks and cold drinks
- Maps and cue sheets for each day’s ride
- Tax and gratuities for meals and side excursions
- Transport from/to the Newburyport train station
- Featherweight, high visibility, reflective mesh vest