Bike and Beer Tour
Maritime Bike & Beer Adventure Tour
Craft Beer That Reflects Its Maritime Heritage
Massachusetts’ North Shore, Cape Ann and Essex National Heritage Area offer great natural beauty, exciting towns and fascinating maritime history. In addition, the region is home to several excellent craft beer breweries. These produce award-winning brews, some made solely from local ingredients, and many named for the maritime heritage that inspired them. On this bike and beer tour, we’ll introduce you to brewmasters who will share their brews’ history and process while you sample the varieties.
Beer for Intrepid Mariners
Among others, you’ll sample Fisherman’s beer. This brew has a bold flavor and is intended to reflect the spirit and courage of the sailors of the North Atlantic fishing fleet. It’s brewed as “a tribute to hard work and a salute to friendships that endure.” This sentiment is evident throughout the tour in the hard-working waterfronts and friendly people.
Bike to Beer
There is nothing like a cold local beer to cap off a day of superb biking. And, with the wealth of scenic cycling routes, unique side adventures, and vibrant history throughout, the tour is every bit as fun for non-beer drinkers as well.
Note: This itinerary is a variation of the Maritime New England tour in that it excludes the sunset sail and includes brewery visits and beer tastings of the regional craft beers.
- View quintessential New England villages, seacoast and farmland in one of the oldest established counties in the nation
- Stay in Select Registry and boutique inns and a historic grand hotel
- Enjoy beer tasting at several breweries offering excellent craft brews inspired by the region’s maritime heritage
- Kayak the estuaries of the Essex River Basin to a secluded beach
- Discover some of the most beautiful beaches on the Eastern Seaboard
- Experience the tranquility of the “Great Marsh,” the largest continuous salt marsh north of Long Island Sound
- Discover the sights, sounds and smells of a pristine coastal habitat of dunes, pine forests, cranberry bogs and salt marsh.
- Spot some of the 350 species of resident and migratory birds in one of the nation’s finest bird watching areas
- See the extraordinary collection of First Period homes in Ipswich, the largest concentration in the country
- Tour the magnificent Crane Estate and explore the trails of Castle Hill by bike and foot
- Learn about the legacy of the sea on maritime heritage scenic byways
- Visit Salem, site of the infamous witch-hunt of 1692. Explore the sites of your choice such as the Witch Museum, The Peabody Essex Museum, The House of the Seven Gables, unique shops or the last complex of colonial era wharves in existence
- Explore Gloucester of The Perfect Storm fame, the nation’s oldest seaport and glimpse everyday life in this authentic, working fishing community
- Visit the country’s oldest artist colony and shop in galleries offering fine local art
- Experience the exquisite light at Rockport, a charming seaside community that attracts vacationers, artists, photographers and filmmakers from around the world
Tour Reviews & Testimonials
“Today marks one week since the end of our MA Bike & Beer tour with Great Freedom Adventures and it’s hard to describe how much we miss it. The biking was incredible – the routes were meticulously planned, easy to follow, and showed us breathtaking sights of MA country & coastline. The people (both the staff and the other cyclists) were equally awesome. The leaders were wonderful and made sure we had delicious snacks available all day. I’d highly recommend GFA for anyone looking for an active vacation, and the Bike & Beer tour specifically for anyone who appreciates both beer and cycling. We can’t wait for our next adventure with GFA!”
“We loved our bike and beer tour! This tour far exceeded my expectations. What a wonderful way to celebrate our birthdays! We had so much fun cycling Cape Ann. We keep talking about our next adventure with Great Freedom Adventures. We’re so glad we found you!”
Jen & Jon D.
“We had such an incredible time on our MA bike tour! We are in serious withdrawal from our days riding and eating great food. We are spreading the word about how amazing your staff and your trips are! And we’re already thinking about next year’s trip with GFA!”
Garrison Inn, Newburyport, MA - 2 NightsOur luxurious and elegant boutique hotel is also a National Historic Landmark. The inn is centrally located in the heart of the historic district, steps to fine shops, galleries, restaurants and the waterfront boardwalk. Treat yourself at the Spa Paradiso or enjoy the new pool and fitness center. Enjoy innovative breakfasts served in espresso bar fashion.
June 2-7 | September 22-27
$2,850. Per person, based on double occupancy. Single Supplement: $795
6 days, 5 nights
Easy to Moderate
Relatively flat with occasional short hills.
Bikes: You may bring your own bike or use one of ours. GFA bikes are high quality, lightweight, available with either drop or straight handlebars and are equipped with computer, mirror, waterbottle, handlebar bag, map case and seat pack with essentials. What's Included:
- 6 days of bicycling
- Bicycle and helmet rental
- 5 nights lodging
- All breakfasts
- 1 lunch and welcome reception
- 4 dinners
- Beer tastings
- Kayak tour
- Walks at various reservations and estates
- 2 dedicated guides
- Van support (for you and your treasures found along the way too)
- Daily snacks and cold drinks
- Maps and cue sheets for each day's ride
- Luggage transport
- Admission to:
- Crane Estate
- Crane Beach
- Parker River National Wildlife Refuge
- Tax and gratuities for meals and side excursions
- Transport from/to the Ipswich train station or Peabody Logan Airport Express bus stop
- Featherweight, high visibility, reflective mesh vest
- Water bottle