MA Inn to Inn Bike Tour
Tour an area pivotal to US maritime history with natural harbors offering settlers protected waters from which to depart to the rich offshore fisheries.
Maritime New England Inn to Inn Bike Tour
Bike From Inn to Inn Discovering Maritime History Along the Massachusetts North Shore
New England Maritime History in the Country’s Oldest Seaports
Bike tour regions central to New England’s maritime heritage on Boston’s North Shore, Cape Ann and the Essex National Heritage Area. Bike from inn to inn exploring an area pivotal to US maritime history. Discover picturesque natural harbors that offered settlers protected waters from which to depart to the rich offshore fisheries. Visit some of the oldest towns in the US where fishing and boat building are still ways of life. View the beautifully maintained colonial homes and enjoy vibrant town centers. Visit historic areas that capture the essence of life in coastal colonial settlements, China Trade seaports and Witch Trial centers.
Classic Lighthouses, White-Sand Beaches and Rich Salt Marshes
Pedal landscapes and seascapes offering views of wildlife-filled salt marsh, lighthouses perched on rocky headlands and white-sand beaches backed by the sparkling Atlantic. The unique beauty of Boston’s North Shore has provided the backdrop for numerous movies. In fact, this remarkable region has a tremendous combination of cultural and natural diversity in a relatively small area that would be hard to match anywhere else.
Bike Stunning Routes From Inn to Inn
Great Freedom Adventures has crafted an exceptional inn to inn bike tour that showcases the area’s loveliest towns, historic sites, and natural beauty all linked together by wonderfully scenic cycling routes. Pedal rocky coastline where crashing waves infuse the air with the smell of salt and rugosa roses perfume tranquil coves with hidden beaches. Bike through the country’s first seaport and the oldest artist’s colony which remain as active today as they were centuries ago.
Walk, Kayak and Sail Too
Traverse a barrier island on boardwalks through an important wildlife habitat viewing marsh and maritime forests while listening to bird song. Walk trails through heather-covered dunes at Crane Wildlife Refuge. Kayak clear blue waters through estuaries of golden grasses and graceful shorebirds. Sail a harbor where reflections of fishing boats color the water and the setting sun colors the sky.
Savor Traditional New England Fare and Relax at Fine Inns
Sample the fresh lobster, succulent clams and the excellent variety of foods for which Boston’s North Shore is known. Rest at an oceanside grand hotel and lovely boutique inns. Enjoy dedicated service throughout this fascinating tour of Maritime New England.
- View quintessential New England villages, seacoast and farmland in one of the oldest established counties in the nation
- Stay in Select Registry and boutique inns and a historic grand hotel
- Enjoy a sunset sail on a graceful catamaran with on-board bar
- Kayak the estuaries of the Essex River Basin to a secluded beach
- Discover some of the most beautiful beaches on the Eastern Seaboard
- Enjoy a classic Lobsta’ feast
- Experience the tranquility of the “Great Marsh,” the largest continuous salt marsh north of Long Island Sound
- Discover the sights, sounds and smells of a pristine coastal habitat of dunes, pine forests, cranberry bogs and salt marsh.
- Spot some of the 350 species of resident and migratory birds in one of the nation’s finest bird watching areas
- See the extraordinary collection of First Period homes in Ipswich, the largest concentration in the country
- Tour the magnificent Crane Estate and explore the trails of Castle Hill by bike and foot
- Learn about the legacy of the sea on maritime heritage scenic byways
- Visit Salem, site of the infamous witch hunt of 1692. Explore the sites of your choice such as the Witch Museum, The Peabody Essex Museum, The House of the Seven Gables, unique shops
- or the last complex of colonial era wharves in existence
- Explore Gloucester of The Perfect Storm fame, the nation’s oldest seaport and glimpse everyday life in this authentic, working fishing community
- Visit the country’s oldest artist colony and shop in galleries offering excellent local art
- Experience the exquisite light at Rockport, a charming seaside community that attracts vacationers, artists, photographers and filmmakers from around the world
Note – This tour is also offered with a focus on the craft beer brewed in the region. Information can be found here: MA Bike & Beer Tour.
Tour Reviews & Testimonials
“I cannot think of a better way to see and experience Maritime New England than on this bike tour. It combines history with nature, forests with architecture, relaxing beaches with exercise. We biked, sailed, kayaked and walked through beautiful countryside and lovely historic and oceanside towns. Great Freedom Adventures took good care of us with snacks and meals more often than we expected, and the route is meticulously planned to get to the loveliest country roads. I highly recommend this tour.”
“Just finished my MA bike tour with Great Freedom Adventures. It was amazing!! This company knows how to do things right. GFA thinks of everything, from the meticulously planned routes, to the beautifully presented and healthy snacks and lunches, to the carefully chosen side excursions (like walking, kayaking and sailing), to the selection of sites – and even the cold wash cloths that suddenly materialized after a warm day of riding! I can’t say enough about how amazing our guides were – knowledgeable, attentive and great company. I enthusiastically recommend Great Freedom Adventures!”
“Our family had a blast on the Maritime New England Bike Tour! We biked gorgeous coastline, experienced cool historical sites (the kids learned a lot!) and stayed at fabulous inns. The meals and snacks were wonderful. It was an amazing trip! We want to come for another Great Freedom Adventure next summer!”
- IncludeBike Tour
- Not IncludedActive VacationHiking Tour
Garrison Inn, Newburyport, MA - 2 NightsOur luxurious and elegant boutique hotel is also a National Historic Landmark. The inn is centrally located in the heart of the historic district, steps to fine shops, galleries, restaurants and the waterfront boardwalk. Treat yourself at the Spa Paradiso or enjoy the new pool and fitness center. Enjoy innovative breakfasts served in espresso bar fashion.
June 2-7 | September 22-27
$2,850 per person, based on double occupancy. Single Supplement: $795
6 days, 5 nights
Easy to Moderate
Relatively flat with occasional short hills.
Bikes: You may bring your own bike or use one of ours. GFA bikes are high quality, lightweight, available with either drop or straight handlebars and are equipped with computer, mirror, waterbottle, handlebar bag, map case and seat pack with essentials. What's Included:
- 6 days of bicycling
- Bicycle and helmet rental
- 5 nights lodging
- All breakfasts
- 1 lunch and welcome reception
- 4 dinners
- Sunset sail
- Kayak tour
- Walks at various reservations and estates
- 2 dedicated guides
- Van support (for you and your treasures found along the way too)
- Daily snacks and cold drinks
- Maps and cue sheets for each day's ride
- Luggage transport
- Admission to:
- Crane Estate
- Crane Beach
- Parker River National Wildlife Refuge
- Tax and gratuity for meals and side excursions
- Transport from/to the Ipswich train station or Peabody Logan Airport Express bus stop
- Use of featherweight, high visibility, reflective mesh vest
- Water bottle