Hudson Valley, NY Bike Tour
Hudson Valley NY Bike Tour
New York Bike Tour in the Hudson Valley National Heritage Area
We’ll let you in on a secret: the bicycling in New York’s mid and upper Hudson Valley is some of the best to be found anywhere. Recreational and avid cyclists alike treasure this network of quiet country roads offering views of open farm country, the distant Catskill Mountains and the wide Hudson River. The landscape feels very much like that in nearby Vermont, but with gentler terrain. Join us in touring some of the most picturesque routes in the Hudson Valley.
World-Class Restaurants, Wineries, Horse Farms and Fertile Farmland
If you are a foodie, you will love this tour. The Hudson River Valley is known for restaurants owned by world-class chefs. At night, enjoy dinners at some of the region’s top restaurants. By day, travel through fertile countryside, past idyllic dairy and agricultural farms, traversing manicured fields where horses, sheep and alpaca roam. Pedal through orchards to hilltop vineyards with long-range views. Taste several of the region’s award-winning wines, some of which have graced White House dinners. Sample artisanal cheeses, fresh fruits and heirloom vegetables by day, and feast on gourmet dinners each night filled with food from the very farms we’ve cycled past and prepared by the region’s finest chefs.
Mansions and Gardens
The bike tour of New York’s Hudson Valley includes visits to preeminent historical sites as well. Ramble through stately mansions built for the Livingstons, Vanderbilts and Roosevelts. See formal gardens designed by some of America’s foremost landscape architects and stroll the grounds at these stunning riverfront estates. Walk to a bluff with sweeping views of the Hudson River and Catskill Mountains, a setting said to have inspired the writing of Washington Irving.
Explore funky, chic Hudson, home to 65 antique shops, stellar art galleries and world-class restaurants. A walk down Hudson’s Warren Street, described as a “dictionary of American architectural design,” is like a walk down through the centuries as you near the river. Feel the palpable excitement of Hudson’s recent renaissance.
Casually elegant Rhinebeck, another stop on the New York bike tour, is a charming village listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Enjoy the beautiful architecture of the historic homes, period barns and carriage houses while walking to lovely shops and restaurants. Watch for old hitching posts and carriage stepping stones too.
Wine, Art, History and Superb Cycling
The ridges, valleys, and plateaus framing the Hudson River create a spectacular setting, one that inspired a whole new art movement – The Hudson River School of Art. Great Freedom Adventures’ bike tour of New York’s Hudson Valley National Heritage Area will immerse you in the beauty, history, art, wine and cuisine of this remarkable region.
- Stay at fine historic inns including the oldest continuously operating inn in the country
- Gourmet dinners prepared by talented chefs with fresh, local produce
- Dinner at the renowned Culinary Institute of America
- Cycling on beautiful country roads past manicured horse farms, picturesque sheep, and agricultural farms, alongside centuries old stone walls
- Vineyard tours and wine tastings
- A scenic river cruise past a historic lighthouse
- Visit to Olana, Frederic Church’s Persian masterpiece of architecture
- Charming villages
- Hike at Poet’s Walk, Washington Irving’s inspiration for “Rip Van Winkle” with spectacular views of the Hudson River and the Catskill Mountains
- Visits to FDR’s Home and Museum, Eleanor Roosevelt’s tranquil Val-Kill, and the impressive Vanderbilt Mansion
- Experience the ethereal light of a landscape that inspired a whole new art movement – the Hudson River School of Art
- Explore the mansions, grounds, and gardens of Montgomery Place, Wilderstein, and Staatsburg at will
- Immersion in a fragrant landscape of vineyards and orchards
- Antique shops and art galleries galore
- Historic architecture
For another trip, which like this New York bike tour, includes cultural and historical gems along with great bicycling, please see our New England bike tour on Massachusetts’s North Shore.
The Barlow Hotel, Hudson, NY - 2 NightsThe Barlow is a boutique hotel located in the heart of Hudson. Step outside and be in the midst of fine antique stores, unique shops, and world-class dining and entertainment. The Art Deco building retains period architectural details while indulging guests in contemporary comfort. Enjoy the hotel’s clean lines, crisp linens and designer baths as well as fine artwork by talented local artists.
July 7-12 | October 20-25
$2,895. Per person, based on double occupancy. Single Supplement: $850
6 days, 5 nights
Easy to Moderate
15-38 (Longer options: 15-55)
Flat sections as well as rolling hills. Some hills may be steep but they are generally short. Occasional sections of dirt road.
Bikes: You may bring your own bike or use one of ours. GFA bikes are high quality, lightweight, available with either drop or straight handlebars and are equipped with computer, mirror, waterbottle, handlebar bag, map case and seat pack with essentials. What's Included:
- 6 days of bicycling
- Bicycle and helmet rental
- 5 nights lodging
- 5 breakfasts
- 3 dinners
- 2 lunches
- Narrated River Cruise with wine or beer
- 2 dedicated guides
- Van support (for you and your treasures found along the way too)
- Daily snacks and cold drinks
- Maps and cue sheets for each day's ride
- Luggage transport
- Admission to:
- The Vanderbilt Mansion
- Springwood, FDR's home
- FDR Museum
- Poet's Walk
- Vineyard tours and wine tastings
- Gardens and grounds walks at historic estates
- Tax and gratuities for meals and side excursions
- Transport from/to the Albany Airport or Hudson Train Station
- Featherweight, high visibility, reflective mesh vest