Self-Guided Bike Tour of the New England Seacoast – With Guided Option
Mass to Maine: Bike Tour Self-Guided Along Stunning Massachusetts, New Hampshire and Maine Coastlines
beauty of the New England coastline is world-renowned. Many have toured and biked portions of the coast. But few have biked 455 miles along the coasts of three states from Boston’s North Shore all the way to Bar Harbor, Maine.
Over the course of nine days, discover the varied scenes of the northern New England coast, from quiet cove beaches with gently lapping waves to rugged cliffs with thundering surf. Choose your dates and preferred bike touring style, then set out on this unforgettable journey. Bike tour self-guided and self-contained, self-guided with luggage transport and vehicle support, or fully guided and supported.
Embark from Massachusetts’ Cape Ann, in a historic town with the oldest working seaport in the US. From there, head north, crossing into New Hampshire and then into Maine. Along the way discover lively towns, quaint fishing villages, vibrant waterfronts, boat-filled harbors, picture-perfect lighthouses, wildlife filled estuaries, white-sand beaches, serene salt-marsh, old stone walls, small farms and the sparkling Atlantic guiding you north.
Acadia National Park, the tour’s destination, is a stunning place where the mountains meet the sea. Discover soaring granite cliffs, glacier carved lakes, wildflower-filled meadows and forested islands scattered in the sparkling azure waters.
All along the ride, clam shacks, cool cafés, lobster pounds, bakeries and eateries of all kinds wait to tempt and satisfy. If you are looking for the best lobster rolls around, the northern New England coast is where you’ll find them.
Throughout the journey, talk with friendly Yankees who offer a glimpse into a life spent fishing, boating, farming, painting, photographing or the myriad other professions of coastal residents. In the same café you’d be just as likely to speak with a neuroscientist developing a new treatment for a rare disease as a third generation lobsterman or woman developing creative new fishing practices to ensure the industry’s sustainability.
An adventure this awe-inspiring deserves an equally inspirational finale – and it delivers! Cap off the pilgrimage with an event that serves as a rite of passage for many. Climb to the summit of Cadillac Mountain in Maine’s Acadia National Park to be among the first in the US to watch the sun make its magnificent appearance above the horizon. The sun’s rays bathe island-dappled Frenchman’s Bay, the park and much of Maine beyond in golden light. It’s a moving experience that will stay with you always.
- Bike tour self-guided or guided through diverse coastal and inland terrain
- View the iconic Fisherman’s Memorial
- See where the Andrea Gail of Perfect Storm fame embarked
- See shipbuilding and maritime museums
- Visit Strawbery Banke living history museum
- Cycle through wildlife refuges
- Stop in Portland and eat at one of the city’s many excellent restaurants
- See several iconic lighthouses
- View the colonial architecture of some of the oldest homes in the US
- Discover small craft breweries
- Explore Acadia National Park
- Bike the iconic Loop Road
- Explore the streets, shops, galleries, restaurants and pubs in Bar Harbor
- Bike to the summit of Cadillac Mountain and watch the sunrise!
Please contact us for details about the accommodations.
9 days, 8 nights
Gloucester, MA/Bar Harbor, ME
Predominantly flat with hills in some sections
You may bring your own bike or use one of ours on partially or fully guided options. GFA bikes are high quality, lightweight, available with either drop or straight handlebars and are equipped with computer, mirror, waterbottle, handlebar bag, map case and seat pack with essentials.
What’s Included: Please contact us for more details about what’s included in each touring option: fully self-guided, self-guided with vehicle support and fully guided and supported.
- 8 nights lodging
- 6 breakfasts
- Maps/cue sheets/GPS routes
- Information about the areas, local sites and suggestions for dining options
- Add the following for partially and fully guided options:
- Bicycle and helmet rental if needed
- Daily snacks and drinks
- Transport from/to train stations
- Luggage transport
- Vehicle & mechanical support
- Add the following for fully guided option:
- Second guide to cycle with guests
- On-route sharing of area information